Saturday, January 13, 2007

sally shaprio "disco romance" review via bob mac

When I was in fourth grade I won a horror movie contest through a local television network that included a prize package for the film Nightmare on Elm St. part IV. In this package I received a copy of the film on VHS, a poster from the movie, and the vinyl version of the soundtrack. It wasn't as classic as the Dirty Dancing or the Juice soundtrack, but it sparked my interest with music in film nonetheless.

So what does this have to do with Sally Shapiro? Nothing really. Except that listening to this record makes me feel like I'm in an 80's movie. And in this movie I'm infatuated with this girl who is completely out of my league. And I have a female best friend who grew up next door to me that is really sweet and cute in her own way. And the best friend helps me get the girl of my dreams. She would probably help me train for a sporting event that no actual teenager has any interest in like a roller skating championship. So I win the championship, get the girl of my dreams only to realize that homegirl next door is the one i really want to be with. And the credits roll with the track "I'll Be By Your Side" playing and us holding hands and doing a couples skate together.

Sally Shapiro and Italo Disco producer Johan Agebjörn give us Disco Romance. An e.p. of five new tracks along with the already blog hyped "I'll Be By Your Side", "Anorak Christmas", and with two remixes.

This record is wrapped up in soft yet poppy electro beats played under strange and melancholic layers of synth to create a spacey pop sound that fits like putting the square peg in the square hole with Shapiro's angelic and subdued vocals. I know some of those descriptions sound quite contradictory, but it gets even worse.

It's hard to describe one true feeling of this record. There aren't any obnoxious bangers, yet I can't stop moving when I listen to it. It's subtle and quiet yet it produces memorable hooks that you have to try to push out of your head to try and get rid of. It's romantic sounding. And I'll even say at times cute. Yet it's also very lonely and sometimes depressing.

Much like the teenage love triangle from the movie you'll feel like you're in while listening to it you may be struck with different feelings. You may feel as though you're being pulled in different directions. But it will take you in a direction and you will feel it, and really what more can you ask for in a disco pop record? And at the end of the movie you will be with the crowned princess of Italo Disco, Sally Shapiro. Lloyd Dobler would be proud.

shapiro sally myspace link
johanagebjoren myspace link


thanks to bob mac for this review

No comments: